68 – Summit Ampitheatre
62 - Scotiabank Centre
The arena was opened on February 17, 1978 as the Halifax Metro Centre, and was built into the ground to compensate for the steep elevation of the land it occupies. One can see cars at street level, outside, while watching an event.
In recent years there has been some talk of a possible new, larger arena to be built sometime in the next few years. It would likely have a seating capacity of over 15,000 for hockey games. In December 2007, an Ozzy Osbourne concert sold out in nine minutes, setting a box office ticket record for the Halifax Metro Centre. In July 2008, the Halifax Metro Centre also set a record sell-out (25,000 tickets sold in forty minutes), for two back-to-back Elton John concerts held in late September 2008. In April 2012, the Halifax Mooseheads sold out game 6 of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League semifinals in 20 minutes. On May 9, 2013, QMJHL Presidents Cup final Game 5 sold-out in record time 11 minutes, setting another attendance mark for the Scotiabank Centre.
The facility is owned by the municipality but operated by Trade Centre Limited.
On June 25, 2014, it was announced that Scotiabank had won the naming rights to the facility and that the Metro Centre would be renamed the Scotiabank Centre. The facility official opened its doors as the rebranded Scotiabank Centre on September 19, 2014.
75 - World Trade and Convention
Trade Centre Limited (TCL), the provincial Crown corporation that operated the World Trade and Convention Centre, advocated replacing the facility to accommodate demand for larger scale conventions, citing the lack of a dedicated exhibition room and the larger size of comparable facilities elsewhere in the country. In 2008, Trade Centre Limited and the provincial Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal issued an expression of interest for an expanded facility. This process identified a successful proponent, Rank Inc., a private developer. It was announced that Rank Inc. would build the overall development, called Nova Centre, in which the convention centre would be located.
In August 2011, the federal government announced it would invest $51 million toward eligible construction costs for the new convention centre. The remaining funding was shared by the Province of Nova Scotia and the Halifax Regional Municipality, with each contributing $56.4 million. With funds in place for the convention centre portion of the project, the developer, Rank Inc., continued to work on preliminary designs and securing tenants for the other aspects of the Nova Centre project. In July 2012, Rank Inc. CEO Joe Ramia officially announced his intention to proceed with the project, beginning with wide-ranging public consultation to help inform the look and feel, streetscape and public spaces for the Nova Centre. That same month Regional Council gave its final approval to a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Province of Nova Scotia that outlines the construction, operational and financial agreements surrounding the new convention centre.
Auditor General Jacques Lapointe, in 2012, criticized the market study used to justify construction of the new convention centre. Without questioning the general merits of a new facility, he stated that “some industry realities were ignored” and provided new calculations which suggested that the economic spinoff could be significantly diminished if the expected utilization rate was lower than calculated. Trade Centre CEO Scott Ferguson responded by stating that he stood by the original projections.
The branding and name of the facility, Halifax Convention Centre, were announced in early 2014 by Ferguson, who praised the “simplicity” and marketing sense of the name and graphic identity.
47 - Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame
The Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame honours Nova Scotia’s sport heroes and history. Our athletes, teams and builders cover all sports including hockey, basketball, football, golf, track and Olympians.
25 - Grand Parade
The first contingent of British settlers in Halifax arrived in June 1749 and completed 300 houses by October 1749. Lieutenant John Brewse, a military engineer, sited the town within a defensive perimeter while Charles Morris, appointed Chief Surveyor on 25 September 1749, worked on the town layout and probably conducted the actual surveying. Moses Harris, a settler skilled in draughting, published the town plan for Halifax in 1749. It comprised an urban grid made up of oblong, rectangular city blocks with the Grand Parade at the centre of the town. The plan stipulated a church at one end of the square (opened 1750), and a courthouse and prison at the northern end. However, the north end remained vacant.
Shortly after arriving in Halifax, Governor Cornwallis ordered framing from Boston for the construction of a church. The cornerstone for the church was laid on 13 June 1750. It was named St. Paul’s in 1759 when a parish of that name was established. The building was modeled off Marybone Chapel in London.
In 1794 Prince Edward arrived in Halifax to command the military in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. He set about improving the military facilities around the city, and had the Grand Parade leveled to improve its usefulness. As Barrington Street slopes down toward the north of Grand Parade, a retaining wall was built here to keep the square level. The retaining wall is tall enough to accommodate inhabitable space underneath the square, with frontage on Barrington. This space originally accommodated ice houses for Mrs. Jane Donaldson, a Granville Street merchant.
The original building of Dalhousie College (now Dalhousie University) opened at the north end of the Grand Parade in 1821. It was a Georgian four storey building separated from the square by a dry moat to allow light to the lower floors. As the 19th century progressed the Grand Parade deteriorated. Dalhousie claimed to lack the funds to upkeep the space while the city claimed it could not take responsibility for the square without undisputed ownership of it. Meanwhile, city offices and council chambers were located at premises on Water Street described at the time as “a trifle porous”, “disreputable looking”, and “a dirty hole”. In 1872 the council asked E.H. Keating, the city engineer, to investigate ways to improve the Grand Parade. Keating suggested building a new city hall at the south end of the site. Public opinion preferred the Dalhousie site, at the north end of the square. In the end, Dalhousie agreed to relocated to the city’s South End and a decision was made to build a “respectable building” on the site of the college. At this time Mayor James MacIntosh suggested renaming the square after Queen Victoria as the name Grand Parade bore connotations to a “condition of decay”. This was not pursued.
An impressive new edifice was designed by Edward Elliot. Demolition of the old college began in 1886. The cornerstone of the new city hallwas laid in 1888. Following the completion of the building, Keating completely redesigned the layout of the square to more suitably reflect its new civic role. He built a circular carriage drive that began at Barrington Street and looped in front of City Hall. The retaining wall on Barrington was rebuilt at this time.
Keating’s plan also specified a circular fountain that was not built until 1905. It was removed to make way for the Cenotaph, officially unveiled on July 1, 1929 by Sir Robert Borden. The Cenotaph, honouring Canada’s war dead, was designed by Scottish sculptor J. Massey Rhind.
In 1907 the retaining wall on Barrington Street was augmented to include a stable. There were also plans to build public toilets south of the stable but these were not proceeded with. Later this undercroft space became a police patrol station that operated until 1952. This space is currently walled off and unused.
A new flagpole was installed in preparation for the city’s bicentennial commemoration in 1949. The 128 feet (39 m) long Douglas fir log was transported from British Columbia by the Canadian Pacific Railwayto the Bay of Fundy, where it was put aboard a scow and sailed to Digby. It was floated to shore and loaded onto three CPR flatcars, arriving in Halifax on August 4, 1947. The new flagpole was erected by the Royal Canadian Engineers and officially unveiled in September 1947 by Mayor A.E. Ahern and railway officials.
There was once a short street called St. Paul’s Hill that ran directly in front of St. Paul’s Church and connected Barrington and Argyle Streets. It was created at the behest of St. Paul’s during the renovations to the square after Prince Edward’s 1794 arrival. The civic address of the church was 1 St. Paul’s Hill. The street was served by a bus in the 20th century. It was closed in 1977-1978 and the land incorporated into the Grand Parade.
The parade was improved in 1995 for the 21st G7 summit. Three functional areas were designated to accommodate different needs and uses: St. Paul’s Plaza, the Civic Plaza in the centre, and the City Hall Plaza in front of City Hall. The pedestrian entrance to the City Hall Plaza from Argyle Street was added in 1999.
For several decades, regional councillors were allowed to park their cars in the Grand Parade. This was controversial; a 1989 report stated that “a consensus of opinion indicates that all parking in the Grand Parade should be eliminated.” The Coast argued for parking to be removed, derisively labeling the status quo as the “Grand Parkade”. On May 20, 2003 councillors Sheila Fougere and Dawn Sloane brought forward a motion to seek alternative parking elsewhere so the space could be opened for public use, but this was defeated. On December 14, 2004 council voted against moving councillor parking to the Birk’s lot. The matter came up again on January 18, 2005 on a motion to reconsider and the proposal was again voted down. Councillor Steve Streatch was one of the most steadfast opponents of moving car parking to the vacant Birk’s site, across the street from city hall, because he favoured the convenience of not having to walk the short distance. Council eventually voted to relocate the councillor parking lot from September 1, 2007 (Streatch successfully argued to delay the deadline from the April 1 cutoff originally proposed).
On October 17, 2010 a concrete arch was unveiled as a memorial to peace officers killed in the line of duty. It is inscribed with the names of 21 fallen Nova Scotia peace officers.
The Grand Parade is home to a variety of events year-round. Each November 11 the Cenotaph is home to the official Remembrance Day commemoration ceremony. There are celebrations on other holidays including Canada Day, and an annual concert and countdown on New Year’s Eve. The municipality also allows community groups to hire the square for special events, although there are special rules governing the use of the Grand Parade, including restrictions on advertising and the clause that events must remain 20 feet away from the Cenotaph.
Visiting dignitaries and members of the royal family often tour the square and greet the public there. For example, the Queen visited the square on a 10-day tour of Canada in 1994, where she reviewed a guard of honour and laid a wreath at the cenotaph.
The Grand Parade is also a popular site for political demonstrations, and as a starting or ending point for protest marches.
Halifax City Hall
The Halifax City Hall is located on the original site of Dalhousie University, built 1821. The university building was demolished to make way for the new structure and timbers from the old academic building were reportedly incorporated into the municipal building, the Halifax City Hall.
It was designed by architect Edward Elliot and constructed for the City of Halifax between 1887 and 1890; it is one of the oldest and largest public buildings in Nova Scotia and is a designated National Historic Site of Canada. The building is of cream and red sandstone, designed in an eclectic, monumental style. It features granite construction on the ground floor and in the tower. The seven storey tower has clock faces on the north and south sides. The northern face is fixed at four minutes past nine to commemorate the Halifax Explosion of 1917.
The Cenotaph in the middle of Grand Parade was dedicated on Dominion Day (July 1) 1929 by Former Prime Minister Robert Borden to commemorate those who died in World War I. The Bronze work on the cenotaph was modelled after Edwin Lutyens‘ famous Cenotaph in Whitehall, England, with a statue of Britannia by noted Scottish sculpture John Massey Rhind. The Cenotaph is constructed of local Tangier granite.
The sculpture depicts victorious but grieving Britannia representing Nova Scotian motherhood. There are also three ceremonial wreaths, the names of First and Second World War Battles honours, a dedication, the coat of arms of both Nova Scotia and Canada as well as a Victory Cross.
During a 2009 maintenance inspection structural problems were discovered with the monument. It was completely dismantled and rebuilt in time for the Remembrance Day ceremony that year.
67 - St. Paul's Church
St. Paul’s is the oldest building in Halifax and the oldest existing Protestant place of worship in Canada. Founded by proclamation of King George II in 1749, the building was erected in the summer of 1750. On September 2, 1750 the Reverend William Tutty held the first service inside what was, according to Mr. Tutty, “not completely fitted up”. The architectural plans were based on St. Peter’s Church, Vere Street, London which was designed in 1722 by James Gibbs, a pupil of Sir Christopher Wren. The resemblance between the two churches is remarkable despite the addition of St. Paul’s vestibule and steeple, 1812, the side wings, 1868, and the chancel, 1872. The timbers of St. Paul’s were cut in Saco, Maine and shipped to Halifax. Most of the materials including the bricks to line the walls were made locally. Over two and a half centuries later, the original wooden structure remains as sound as the day it was built. Charles Inglis, first overseas Bishop of the Church of England, arrived in 1787 making St. Paul’s his cathedral. Until the construction of a garrison chapel in 1844, St. Paul’s was also the first garrison church in Halifax. For more than 12,000 Sundays worshippers have gathered here to celebrate Christ’s death and resurrection, to read God’s word and to hear it preached from the pulpit, to bring before Him the needs of the world and to offer Him humble thanks for his goodness.
70 - TD Bank
TD Bank is an international bank with a branch on Barrington Street
11 - CIBC
63 - Scotia Square Mall
Scotia Square consists of a mall, a hotel, and a number of office towers connected to each other and to other buildings by pedways and tunnels. In the centre of the complex is Scotia Square Mall and a large food court servicing the adjoinging office buildings. The complex is adjacent to the Cogswell Interchange, and it fronts on Duke Street to the south, Barrington Street to the east, and Albemarle Street (formerly Market Street) to the west.
- Barrington Place (3 floors)
- Barrington Tower (20 floors, 84 metres)
- Brunswick Place (5 floors) – formerly called Trade Mart
- Cogswell Tower (20 floors – 14 office levels on top of 6 parkade levels – 79 metres) 
- Duke Tower (14 floors atop 2 storey podium, 71 metres)
- Delta Halifax Hotel
- Delta Barrington Hotel
- Scotia Square Mall (2 floors)
- 1700-stall car park
The Scotia Square Mall food court was renovated in 2014 and named The Mix by Crombie REIT. The court features 14 different food vendors ranging from large fast food chains like McDonald’s to locally owned vendors like Mama Gratti’s Deli & Market. Various upgrades to seating during the renovation allows large foot traffic during lunchtime rushes during the week. Being based toward servicing those working downtown the hours of operation of most food court tenants are 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Pedways and tunnels
- Pedway connecting Brunswick Street to the Scotia Square Parkade, and the west parkade stairwell. Passes over Albemarle Street (formerly Market Street).
- Pedway connecting the northwest corner of Scotia Square Parkade (topmost level) to Brunswick Place (formerly called Trade Mart building), which is located beside Scotia Square Parkade, on the north side of Cogswell Street.
- Tunnel connecting mall to World Trade and Convention Centre, as well as the Halifax Metro Centre. Passes under Duke Street.
- Three-level pedway going from Barrington & Duke Towers to a stairwell, which leads to parking and the mall. The middle level of this pedway joins up to the Brunswick Street Pedway mentioned above.
- Pedway going from Scotia Square Mall, over Barrington Street, and into Barrington Place Shops. From there one can go via pedway to Purdy’s Wharf, Casino Nova Scotia, the CIBC Building, and the TD Tower.
42 - Neptune Theatre
nspires our audiences with great stories. We see ourselves as an enduring cultural organization that enriches our community across the Atlantic Region, earning a national reputation through artistic and creative excellence in our programming and the practice of our craft. 1593 Argyle Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
58 - RBC Bank
The Royal bank is on lower water street, great place to get your money exchanged before heading the rest of the way around town!
32 - Historic Properties
Experience Halifax’s heritage firsthand at Historic Properties on Halifax’s waterfront. A designated National Historic Site in the heart of downtown Halifax, Historic Properties is the first restoration project of its kind in Canada, featuring three city blocks of Canada’s oldest surviving group of waterfront warehouses and some of North America’s finest Victorian-Italianate façades dating back to the late 1700s and early 1800s.
Charming historic buildings offer modern boutique shopping, gourmet dining, and true East Coast entertainment.
9 - Casino Nova Scotia
Casino Nova Scotia Halifax is located on the breathtaking Halifax Waterfront. Open year-roundCasino Nova Scotia is Atlantic Canada’s largest gaming and entertainment destination. Attracting visitors from around the world, the gaming floor maintains a high level of excitement with regular promotions and special events.
40 - Nathan Green Square
Waterfront Development and Halifax Regional Municipality partnered to revitalize a well-travelled and well-loved destination on the Halifax waterfront in 2011.
The two partners invested in the Nathan Green Square Revitalization Project to refresh this public area located next to the Halifax Ferry Terminal, between Halifax Harbour and the Law Courts. Each partner contributed $200,000.
The improvements included a continuation of the timber boardwalk, new seating, with enhanced landscaping for year-round interest, improved lighting and water views, as well as better access between this public area and Historic Properties.
The square was dedicated in 1983 to Judge Nathan Green to honour the work of the first member of Nova Scotia’s Jewish community to become a judge.
Recognized for his many personal and professional contributions, he held the role of Chief Judge of Nova Scotia’s provincial court, and was a well-respected mediator and sought-after arbitrator within the legal community. The Halifax Public Library Board, the Shaar Shalom Synagogue, and the Rotary Club are just a few of the community groups and associations he actively contributed to over the years.
Other partnership projects between the City and Waterfront Development include the children’s playground on the Halifax waterfront, and the Telford Bridge on the Dartmouth Harbourwalk Trail.
22 - Ferry Terminal
|Transit type||Passenger ferry|
|Owner||Halifax Regional Municipality|
|Ended operation||Still operating|
|No. of lines||2|
|No. of vessels||5|
|No. of terminals||3|
The Halifax–Dartmouth Ferry is the oldest saltwater ferry in North America, and the second oldest in the world (after the Mersey Ferry linking Liverpool and Birkenhead). Today the service is operated by Halifax Transit and links Downtown Halifax with two locations, Alderney Landing and Woodside, in Dartmouth, NS.
The first ferry service in the region was put in place by the founder of Halifax Edward Cornwallis, who used the ferry service to move raw materials and people from a sawmill located on the Dartmouth side of the harbour. During this time there was no official service and it was not until 1752, after a council meeting, that the first ferry charter was issued to John Connor This began the official ferry service between Halifax and Dartmouth. At this time regulations stated that the boats would be run from sunrise until sunset through weekdays with a fare of three pence. In these early stages there was no schedule. Patrons would simply walk down to the pier and be taken across as needed. Connor operated the ferry for only one year and after his departure the operation of the ferry changed hands twice more before 1786.
The first true ferry to be employed in the harbour was not until 1816 the Sherbrooke classified as a Horseboat being powered by (in Sherbrooke’s case) nine horses walking in a circular motion in the centre of the ferry powering the central paddle. This ferry was thought to be a large improvement to the previous service due to its speed and ability to transport more people and cargo from either side of the harbour. This ferry operated in the harbour until 1830 when the first steam ferry, the Sir Charles Ogle, entered service. The continuing ferry service remained the only effective way of crossing the harbour until 1955, when the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge was first opened.
The current generation of the ferry system was implemented by the former City of Dartmouth as part of major revitalization projects undertaken in both Dartmouth and Halifax in the 1970s. All five ferries currently in service were designed by Dartmouth company, E.Y.E. Marine Consultants. In 1994, the City of Dartmouth transferred control of the ferry system to Metro Transit, later known as Halifax Transit.
46 - Nova Scotian Crystal
The only crystal maker in Canada, NovaScotian Crystal breathes life into the traditional art of mouth-blown, hand-cut crystal year-round on the Halifax Waterfront. Crowds from all over the world gather outside the Glassworks door to watch our master craftsmen turn molten crystal into stunning wine glasses, bowls, vases
6 - BMO - Bank of Montreal
3 - Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
The gallery was founded in 1908 as the Nova Scotia Museum of Fine Arts. It was renamed in 1975 as the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. In 1988, the gallery moved to the historic Dominion Building, built in 1865, designed by architects David Stirling and William Hay. The gallery expanded in 1998 to include several floors of the Provincial Building located just to the south of Dominion Building. The two structures are separated by Ondaatje Court, a public space that besides being used for temporary exhibitions, contains several large permanent sculptures. Underneath the courtyard is a large underground exhibition room which connects the two buildings.
54 - Province House
Province House is where the Nova Scotia legislative assembly, known officially as the Nova Scotia House of Assembly, has met every year since 1819, making it the longest serving legislative building in Canada. The building is Canada‘s oldest house of government. Standing three storeys tall, the structure is considered one of the finest examples of Palladian architecture in North Americ
61 - Scotiabank
8 - Canada Post
This was the original Canada Post office in Halifax.
7 - Murphys on the water
Halifax Wedding Venues, Harbour Hopper, Tall Ship Sailing, Deep Sea Fishing, Nature and Whale Watching, Restaurant, Theodore Tugboat, Things to do in Halifax.
57 - Queens Landing
The Queens Marque district covers almost five acres at the centre point of the city. Located on the Halifax waterfront in the area historically known as Queen’s Landing, it runs to the east of Lower Water Street and is bounded by George Street, running south to Prince Street.
38 - Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
71 - Theodore Tugboat
Theodore Tugboat is a Canadian children’s television series about a tugboat named Theodore who lives in the Big Harbour with all of his friends. The show originated (and is set) in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada as a co-production between the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), and the now defunct Cochran Entertainment, and was filmed on a model set using radio controlled tugboats, ships, and machinery. Production of the show ended in 2001, and its distribution rights were later sold to Classic Media (now DreamWorks Classics). The show premiered in Canada on CBC Television, then went to PBS (Public Broadcasting Service), was on Qubo in the US, and at one time had appeared in eighty different countries.[3
33 - HMCS Sackville
HMCS Sackville is Canada’s oldest warship. This Naval Memorial and National Historic Site was a combat veteran of the Second World War. She is the last of Canada’s 123 corvettes, one of many convoy escort vessels built in Canada and the United Kingdom during the war. She played a pivotal role in winning the Battle of the Atlantic and holds a special place in Canadian naval history and heritage.
Sackville has been restored to her war configuration and is home to exhibits and artefacts dedicated to the legacy of those who served at sea during the Battle of the Atlantic.
Step on board to experience the daily routine and challenge of young sailors from across the country who braved the stormy and unforgiving North Atlantic and the perilous Battle of the Atlantic.
5 - Sands at Salter
About one third, or an acre, of the site located at the end of Salter Street, next to Bishop’s Landing, is now converted into green space as a temporary use called Sands at Salter.
Sections of Sands at Salter were phased in, including grassy and sandy areas, creating an urban beach feel, green space for people to take part in leisure activities, new seating and nearby parking. The boardwalk on both sides is connected to the extended portion and the area is now home to additional seating through a ‘Free Lab‘ project. The site is also the venue for signature events such as the Halifax Jazz Festival.