28 - Halifax Citadel National Historic Site
Halifax Citadel National Historic Site
Citadel Hill is a hill that is a National Historic Site in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Four fortifications have been constructed on Citadel Hill since 1749, and were referred to as Fort George—but only the third fort (built between 1794 and 1800) was officially named Fort George, by General Orders of October 20, 1798, after Prince Edward’s father, King George III. The first two and the fourth and current fort, were officially called the Halifax Citadel. The Citadel is the fortified summit of Citadel Hill. The hill was first fortified in 1749, the year the town of Halifax was founded. Those fortifications were successively rebuilt to defend the town from various enemies. Construction and leveling have lowered the summit by ten to twelve metres. While never attacked, the Citadel was long the keystone to defence of the strategically important Halifax Harbour and its Royal Navy Dockyard.
50 - Old Town Clock
The idea of a clock for the British Army and Royal Navy garrison at Halifax is credited to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, who arranged for a turret clock to be manufactured before his return to England in 1800. It is said that Prince Edward, then commander-in-chief of all military forces in British North America, wished to resolve the tardiness of the local garrison.
The clock tower is a three-tiered (three storey), irregular octagon tower built atop a one storey white clapboard building of classic Palladianproportions. It was erected on the east slope of Citadel Hill facing Barrack (now Brunswick) Street. The clock face is 4-sided displaying Roman numerals. As with most clocks the “4” is shown as IIII for aesthetic symmetry and not as IV.
The clock mechanism was constructed by the “House of Vulliamy“, respected Royal Clockmakers based in London. It is driven by three weights, gears, and a 13-foot pendulum with the mechanism being housed in a cast iron frame located in the “clock room”, immediately below the belfry. Its bell strikes hourly and quarterly and the durability of the mechanism (which dates to the original installation) is attributed to its slow movement.
The Town Clock began keeping time for the garrison on October 20, 1803.
The tower housing the Town Clock has been used in the past as a guard room and as a residence for the clock caretaker. The first caretaker of the Citadel Clock had the surname Dechman. Restoration work on the Town Clock has taken place at various times during the 20th century, with the property passing into the care of Parks Canada, which has responsibility for the Citadel Hill National Historic Site. The caretaker position ceased in 1965 with its maintenance now being performed by Citadel Hill employees who wind the clock mechanism twice weekly.
A major restoration project in 1960 saw the exterior façade of the Town Clock building returned to its original Georgian appearance. George Rose, a parks employee recorded this restoration. Another restoration was carried out in 2005 to restore the clock’s faces.
As a Halifax icon, the Town Clock has featured in many artworks, fictional and non-fictional accounts of Halifax. One among many is a depiction of the town clock as a character named Chimey in the children’s television show Theodore Tugboat.
62 - Scotiabank Centre
The arena was opened on February 17, 1978 as the Halifax Metro Centre, and was built into the ground to compensate for the steep elevation of the land it occupies. One can see cars at street level, outside, while watching an event.
In recent years there has been some talk of a possible new, larger arena to be built sometime in the next few years. It would likely have a seating capacity of over 15,000 for hockey games. In December 2007, an Ozzy Osbourne concert sold out in nine minutes, setting a box office ticket record for the Halifax Metro Centre. In July 2008, the Halifax Metro Centre also set a record sell-out (25,000 tickets sold in forty minutes), for two back-to-back Elton John concerts held in late September 2008. In April 2012, the Halifax Mooseheads sold out game 6 of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League semifinals in 20 minutes. On May 9, 2013, QMJHL Presidents Cup final Game 5 sold-out in record time 11 minutes, setting another attendance mark for the Scotiabank Centre.
The facility is owned by the municipality but operated by Trade Centre Limited.
On June 25, 2014, it was announced that Scotiabank had won the naming rights to the facility and that the Metro Centre would be renamed the Scotiabank Centre. The facility official opened its doors as the rebranded Scotiabank Centre on September 19, 2014.
75 - Halifax Convention Centre
|Halifax Convention Centre|
Nova Centre under construction in 2016
Halifax, Nova Scotia
|Operator||Events East Group|
|• Total space||120,000 sq ft (11,000 m2)|
|• Exhibit hall floor||50,000 sq ft (4,600 m2)|
|• Breakout/meeting||40,000 sq ft (3,700 m2)|
|• Ballroom||30,000 sq ft (2,800 m2)|
The Halifax Convention Centre is part of the $500-million Nova Centre project. With 1,000,000 square feet (93,000 m2) of mixed-use space, Nova Centre is the largest integrated development project undertaken in Nova Scotia’s history.
Trade Centre Limited (TCL), the provincial Crown corporation that operated the World Trade and Convention Centre, advocated replacing the facility to accommodate demand for larger scale conventions, citing the lack of a dedicated exhibition room and the larger size of comparable facilities elsewhere in the country. In 2008, Trade Centre Limited and the provincial Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal issued an expression of interest for an expanded facility. This process identified a successful proponent, Rank Inc., a private developer. It was announced that Rank Inc. would build the overall development, called Nova Centre, in which the convention centre would be located.
In August 2011, the federal government announced it would invest $51 million toward eligible construction costs for the new convention centre. The remaining funding was shared by the Province of Nova Scotia and the Halifax Regional Municipality, with each contributing $56.4 million. With funds in place for the convention centre portion of the project, the developer, Rank Inc., continued to work on preliminary designs and securing tenants for the other aspects of the Nova Centre project. In July 2012, Rank Inc. CEO Joe Ramia officially announced his intention to proceed with the project, beginning with wide-ranging public consultation to help inform the look and feel, streetscape and public spaces for the Nova Centre. That same month Regional Council gave its final approval to a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Province of Nova Scotia that outlines the construction, operational and financial agreements surrounding the new convention centre.
Auditor General Jacques Lapointe, in 2012, criticized the market study used to justify construction of the new convention centre. Without questioning the general merits of a new facility, he stated that “some industry realities were ignored” and provided new calculations which suggested that the economic spinoff could be significantly diminished if the expected utilization rate was lower than calculated. Trade Centre CEO Scott Ferguson responded by stating that he stood by the original projections.
The branding and name of the facility, Halifax Convention Centre, were announced in early 2014 by Ferguson, who praised the “simplicity” and marketing sense of the name and graphic identity.
Nova Scotia Sport Hall of fame
The Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame honours Nova Scotia’s sport heroes and history. Our athletes, teams and builders cover all sports including hockey, basketball, football, golf, track and Olympians.
78 - Nova Centre
The project has received federal, provincial, and municipal public funding as it will house, in the podium levels and basement, the new Halifax Convention Centre operated by the Crown corporation Trade Centre Limited (TDL).
In 2014, Halifax Regional Council approved the sale of a section of Grafton Street, running through the Nova Centre site, to Argyle Developments at a cost of $1.9 million. This section will remain open to the public as a covered pedestrian arcade, and will be rented out for events by the developer.
In October 2015, the Bank of Montreal signed a 10-year lease agreement and naming rights deal. The bank will establish their Atlantic Canadian headquarters in the office tower, and one of the towers will be named BMO Tower. The bank’s flagship downtown branch will also be relocated to the ground level of the building.